It’s been a good week for Nick Clegg after he scored well in the first televised leadership debate. Personally I think he’s an intellectually weak man whose spin is all too transparent. His ‘plague on both your houses’ tactic might be superficially seductive, but it only works for him because the Liberal Democrats have never had to deal with problems in office.
But that’s just my opinion. What is beyond doubt is that he has a shameful record when it comes to Israel and dealing with antisemitism:
* He has called for Israel to stop being armed.
* He has also called for an immediate end to what he calls the “blockade” of Gaza, but offers no suggestion as to how to ensure Israel’s security under such a scenario.
* He has claimed most of those killed in Operation Cast Lead were civilians, when even Hamas admits this is not the case.
* He has claimed that “all sides of the conflict” – including Hamas – want a peaceful two-state solution, ignoring that Hamas openly do not want that.
* He repeatedly failed to keep his promise to deal with Jenny Tonge’s antisemitism and only after repeat offences and much pressure did he deal with her in the most minimal way he could get away with.
* Last year he asked: “Is the idea of Israel as a Jewish state something new?”
* He is obsessed with claiming that the fact he is “married to a Spaniard” makes his party’s terrible track record on Israel and antisemitism all right.
When you enter the polling booth next month ask yourself if you want a man with that sort of record to end up with any influence on the Foreign Office of a coalition government…